These links can help you find information pertaining to music resources, support groups, organizations, medical resources, and other topics that assist our Veterans. If you have information, a news story or a video that relates to Veterans performing music or Veterans involved in music therapy settings, please contact us and send the name and URL of the website and a brief description on what it provides so we can include it here. Help us grow and reach as many Veterans as possible with the resources and information they need.
- The Recovery Village
Supportive treatment to help manage stress, trauma and addiction.
In 2015, 1 in 15 veterans had a substance use disorder, and they are more likely than civilians to have substance abuse problems with alcohol, tobacco, and prescription drugs.
The good news is that if you are a veteran who struggles with substance abuse, you can receive a variety of services for free from the VA including help detoxing, treatment in facilities, individual or group therapy, medications, and other services.
help.org has compiled information to walk you through each step of the process – from learning about substance abuse treatment programs to accessing treatment. We also provide additional resources, hotlines, and funding programs to supplement or help make treatment possible.
- Nursing Home Abuse Center
Military veterans are especially at-risk group for abuse and mistreatment in nursing homes. An often-neglected group, veterans, after serving their country, are commonly left without sufficient support systems, friends & family networks, and mental and physical health care services.
- The Neuroscience of Singing
Singing has been proven to reduce stress and anxiety, and to strengthen human connection. Now, science can tell us why.
- Veteran Resource Podcast
Veteran Resource Podcast was created to introduce veterans to Veteran Service Organizations. There are literally thousands of VSO’s out there, each with a different mission. With thousands of VSO’s there has to be something out there for every veteran. Note the podcast about Heroes' Voices at http://veteranpodcast.com/029..
- Arts, Health and Well-Being across the Military Continuum
The seminal white paper on Veterans, Healing and the Arts.
- Art Therapy for Combat-Related PTSD:Recommendations for Research and Practice
Art therapy shows promise as a means of treating hard-to-treat symptoms of combat-related PTSD while also addressing the underlying psychological situation that gives rise to these symptoms.
- Music Therapy Program Helps Relieve PTSD Symptoms
Music therapy showed positive results in a small pilot study supported by VA funding.
- Operation Song
Operation Song pairs professional song writers with veterans, active duty military, and their families to help them tell their stories through song
- An Iraq Veteran’s Homecoming, With Arias
Opera Saratoga (Saratoga Springs, NY) has premiered an opera about the struggles of an Iraq veteran as he returns home.
- Choir of Alzheimer's patients sings tunes from memory
Patients having difficulty holding a thought or stringing even a few words together are regularly able to belt out tunes from Rodgers and Hammerstein and the Beatles when they sing side by side with their caregivers at MacPhail Center for Music.
- These stroke victims can't speak, but they're still singing
Sometimes people who can't speak can sing, because the two acts are controlled by different parts of the brain.
- Bringing more veterans to work in the arts benefits vets and the art world
Online article posted on the DailyBeats.com
- The veteran artist caught between creativity and therapy
The assumption that the military and the arts represent two different worlds overlooks an important fact: many veterans continue to serve their communities by sharing their experiences through innovative art
- Aaron Neville and MusiCorps on the Colbert Report
Colbert Report features Aaron Neville and MusiCorps singing “Hallelujah” December 18th, 2013
- Music therapy program helps veterans heal
An article from the Arizona State University site on Music Therapy Community Music and Wellness program
- Veterans turn to music therapy to reintegrate into civilian life
An article features on CBS News site by The Associated Press
- Six String Heroes at Jefferson Barracks: St. Louis, MO
Providing guitars and lessons to veterans who have sustained mental or physical injury as a result of military service
- Guitar Dreams at Honor Center for Veterans: Gainesville, FL
Guitars and lessons for veterans
- Guitars for Vets’ Salem chapter offers music therapy
An article featured on the Roanoke Times website by Tad Dickens
- Veterans with brain injuries trying music therapy
Article from Denver Post sub site americanhomecomings.com By Patricia Kime / Army Times
- Helping Veterans Transition Through Music
Article from Maine Music and Health
- Veterans Affairs (VA) clinic in southern New Jersey
Veterans Affairs (VA) clinic in southern New Jersey Music Therapy Article with Video by Abbie Fentress Swanson
- Remembering the POWs of the Vietnam War
An abcnews.com based article on the Nixon library hosting a reunion dinner for all living former POWs of Vietnam War
- Veteran: Music Program Is ‘Therapy Session’
The Associated Press YouTube video featuring the music therapy program for veterans
- Voices of Valor
Music Therapy for Veterans at Montclare State, NJ
- The band Secret State granted unprecedented access from U.S. Army to shoot music video on base
A FOX News article by Hollie McKay
- Wounded Vets Create Music … as Well as Jobs for Themselves
An aol.com article on jobs by Bruce Watson
- Former Armed Forces members making music for everyone, but especially 4Troops
A news-herald.com article By John Benson
- Veterans Making Music
With weekly gatherings, military veterans hone their music skills and create bonds
- Musicorps performance with Yo Yo Ma
MusiCorps Wounded Warrior Band with Yo-Yo Ma at the Kennedy Center, April 8th, 2013
- Choir of Alzheimer’s patients sings from memory
An article from USA Today Network by Boyd Huppert
- Wounded vets perform Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah”
Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” perfomed by Musicorps, Oleta Adams and the Kansas City Symphony
- Music offers meaning to dementia patients
A video story from PBS NewsHour about how dementia patients can reconnect with their lives through music.
- Greater Boston Choral Consortium
Listings and Information on the Choirs in the Boston Area
- Vocal Area Network
New York’s Home for vocal ensemble music
- Choirs in the New York Area
A membership organization composed of choruses that call New York City home, representing a diverse community of singers and choral organizations
- Choral Net
List of existing ensembles in communities across America
- Choir Place
List of national and international ensembles in many genres
- These stroke victims can’t speak, but they’re still singing
PRI/The World Article by Joel Carnegie
- Musicians put veterans’ experiences into song
LA Times Article by Tony Perry
- Six String Heroes
Web article “Six String Heroes heals veterans with music” by Mike Bush
- Music Therapy for Veterans
Web article from topmusictherapist.com on music therapy for veterans by Jason Moon
- Guitar Heroism: Veterans Fight PTSD With Music
An NPR streaming audio broadcast and transcription
- Music therapy helps heal war veterans
The mysanantonio.com community article on the Group’s ‘Operation Harmony’ ties wounded GIs’ healing to playing music
- VA Music Therapy program for Vets
The Veterans Administration’s National Program brings Music Therapy to Vets in Asheville
- Veterans With PTSD Use Music Therapy To Heal – And Get Back To Work
An aol.com article
- New Music Therapy Program at Walter Reed
Huffington Post article on the New Music Therapy program at Walter Reed Army Medical Center
- The History of Music Therapy
American Music Therapy Association
- Music changes your brain
A Time Magazine article about singing, especially in groups, changes you brain in many positive ways
- Got your 6
A service organization in Los Angeles that focuses on six key pillars of veteran reintegration; Jobs, Education, Health, Family, Housing, Leadership. In each pillar, nonprofit partners have established a tangible and measurable goal to demonstrate that veterans are leaders and assets in their communities
- The Poetry Foundation
The Poetry Foundation is an independent literary organization committed to a vigorous presence for poetry in our culture
- United States Veteran’s Arts Program
The Chicago-based non-profit 501c-3 that has melded contemporary veterans issues with community-based support
- Operation Ward 57
The Non-Profit Organization that Supports Wounded Warriors, Their Families and Medical Staff at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
- Medical Music Group
VA National Medical Group Chorale and Symphony Orchestra
- Operation Music Aid
Operation Music Aid, For Disabled American Veterans
- Music Worx
The news resource site serving as an international music therapy authority and advocate that welcomes and publishes news from any source that promotes the field of music therapy
The Center for American Military Music Opportunities based in Alexandria, VA
- Veteran Artist Program
The non-profit program established to foster, encourage, and promote veteran artists
- The Arts, Military + Healing: A Collaborative Initiative
The artist led six-day long series of workshops and public events promote creativity, wellness, and resilience in military communities
- Operation Harmony
Music Lessons and Instruments for Vets based in Pasadena, CA
- Strumming for Vets
“The gift of music at the fingertips of our vets”. The organization that has come up with a way to help restore the feeling of joy and self-worth that can be lost after extreme trauma
- Guitars for Vets
The non-profit organization that enhances the lives of ailing and injured military veterans by providing them with guitars and music instruction
- Music for Vets
Therapy for Our Nations’s Veterans blog site
MusicianCorps is a program of the Center for Music National Service (MNS), a non-profit organization based in San Francisco that promotes music for public benefit and social impact
- US Department of Veteran Affairs
The Veterans Administration website providing information on services, benefits, healthcare and other topics helpful to veterans
- Therapeutic music opportunities for military veterans
A list of organizations providing music therapy for veterans.
- Reunited: A Short Film about Music and the Human Spirit
Music connects an elderly Alzheimer's patient with others when his jazz combo reunites.
Help us grow
Send us your links! If you have information, a news story or a video that relates to Veterans performing music or Veterans involved in music therapy settings, please contact us and send the name and URL of the website and a brief description on what it provides so we can include it here. Help us grow and reach as many Veterans as possible with the resources and information they need.